If you are missing one or several teeth, dental implants may be able to help you to change the appearance of your smile and increase your mouth’s function. Most people make good candidates for dental implant surgery, however, we will go over what an ideal candidate looks like later in this article.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a structure that replaces a missing tooth. With screw-like devices, the surgeon inserts an implant into the jawbone, and it acts as an anchor for an artificial tooth, called a crown.
A device called an abutment connects the artificial tooth to the dental implant.
The crown is custom-made to fit the person’s mouth and match the color of their teeth. Crowns look, feel, and function like natural teeth.
Implants have several advantagesTrusted Source over dentures, which are removable artificial teeth. Implants:
- are more natural and comfortable
- have a higher success rate
- improve chewing function
- lead to a lower risk of cavities developing in nearby teeth
- lead to better maintenance of bone at the site of the lost tooth
- cause decreased sensitivity in nearby teeth
- do not need to be taken out and cleaned every night
However, dental implants are not suitable for everyone. The implanting devices must bond with the jawbone, so a person’s bones must be healthy before they can undergo implant surgery.
The Perfect Candidate for Dental Implants
When determining if a patient makes a good implant candidate multiple factors will be taken into consideration. First of all, an implant dentist is looking for a patient that has healthy gums. Patients with gum disease or those who are lacking good oral health may not be as qualified for this procedure. Additionally, for a dental implant to be successful it needs good bone density to offer strong support. Patients that smoke will also be encouraged to stop in order to create a better environment for the implant.
At Brian L. Porter, DDS, we treat patients with all different levels of dental needs and dental goals. In some cases, patients may have more advanced concerns with the condition or alignment of their teeth. This level of required dentistry can be the result of genetics, physical trauma, and damaged teeth. In some cases, patients may require full mouth reconstruction procedures in order to alleviate pain or social discomfort.
Serious dental procedures like this are better left in the hands of experienced dentists that are willing to take the time to understand the desires of their patient. If you are interested in learning more about dental implants in Baytown, TX reach out to our office to schedule a consultation.
There are many advantages to dental implants, including:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
If you are ready to get your dental health on track and have the smile you have always dreamed of, reach out to our office today.
Prioritize Your Dental Health
A healthy life starts with a healthy smile. Neglecting to take care of your dental health can lead to painful, expensive, and irreversible damage to your smile. Our dentists Dr. Brian L. Porter or Dr. Kelley Joo, work with patients to help them take charge of their dental health. Schedule your dental check-up by reaching out to Brian L. Porter, DDS at 281-422-3415 today.
Brian L. Porter, DDS
1109 E. James Ave.
Baytown, TX 77520
View our Google Business Listing